Done - Do you know when to send a done email in Scrum?
Most devs don't send 'Done' emails... Would you really expect Product Owners to always be checking Azure DevOps (was TFS) or GitHub?
The better approach is:
- If a task/bug came from a client when it is completed, send the 'Done' email to the Product Owner.
- If the task/bug is your breakdown of a PBI (that the developer did to break down a big user story), then only send the ‘Done’ once the entire user story is complete.
Note: Send the ‘Done’ email to the Owner of that PBI.
GitHub Note: If you are using GitHub, you can close the issue with a comment, and @-mention the people you wish to notify - GitHub will then email them for you, assuming they have configured it correctly. This has the added bonus of being visible to everyone else who can see the issue, without needing to CC everyone on your emails.
- Include Task #, Summary, and link to the item in TWA.
- Remember that all your tasks should be under 4 hours
- Follow the Done Email rules
- If you completed the task in a different way than previously discussed, mention it.
- Make sure that every PBI has an Owner as per the rules.
If you are working on a task
When you complete a task that is part of a PBI you need to send a done email to the Owner of that Story.
You only need to add the Task #, Summary and link to the item in WIWA. Remember that all your tasks should be under 4 hours, do spend lots of time on a Done Email for a Task would be counter productive. Add more information if required, for example you may have completed the task a different way than previously discussed.
Make sure that every PBI has an owner as per the rules.
If you are the owner of a PBI
When the last task/bug of a PBI is complete, you then send a comprehensive done email as per the rules when the story had been completed. Make sure you add a list of all of the Tasks that were completed as part of the story and the Done criteria that you completed.
Here is the Definition of Done we followed:
- Compiled/Built locally
- >30% Code Coverage
- All unit tests passed
Then add an illustration to show this.
This is all designed to help you Scrum Team members (Product Owner, Scrum Master and Team) keep a certain quality bar on completion of each chunk of work. Remember that you are not 'DONE' until your team says you are done.