Created on 24 Apr 2009 | Last updated by System Account on 27 Oct 2012 09:52 AM (over 8 years ago)
Why do we use VM for SharePoint development?
All SharePoint customization and development must be done on a Virtual Machine.
- It's very important to correctly setup a SharePoint environment for development. Correctly configured, this will save you a lot of trouble later on.
- From time to time, you can seriously damage a SharePoint installation during development and it is best not to install SharePoint on your everyday working machine. Additionally, when you start a new SharePoint project you don't want to carry all the luggage from a previous customization that could potentially affect your new project.
- Virtual machines can be fired up and shut down easily
- Virtual machines can be relocated on a different server and thus it doesn't waste developers' own computer resources
- Virtual machines can be copied and brought to a client for demostration.
- Very easy for someone to quickly create a new SharePoint server to quickly test or experiment with SharePoint.
- Bad: There might be more work required to activate additional servers.