How do I install SQL Server 2005 with the Adventure Works Samples?
There are a few steps involved in getting SQL Server 2005 up and running with the samples.
This KB will discuss two options for installing the AdventureWorks sample databases:
Option 1:Installing Adventureworks while doing the SQL Server 2005 install.
Install SQL Server 2005
After installation is complete...
Deploy the Adventure Works OLAP Sample
- Run the "Servers" Installation
- Continue through to the "SQL Server Setup" Screen
- Tick the options shown below
Figure: Select these Four Features
- Click "Advanced"
- On "Documentation, Samples and Sample Databases" select "Entire feature will be installed on local hard drive"
Figure: Install Entire Feature for Samples
- Click "Next"
- Select "Default instance" (unless you want a named instance) and Click "Next"
- Select the "Service Account" you wish to run the SQL Services as and click "Next"
- Select "Mixed Mode Authentication"
- Enter an Administrator password and Click "Next"
- Click "Next" to use the default Collation settings
- Click "Next" to use the default Report Server configuration
- Select your Usage and Error logging preferences and click "Next"
- Click "Install" to begin installation
The Adventure works OLAP Cube has now been deployed.
Deploy the Report Sample
- Open the "Adventure Works Analysis Services Solution"
(typically located at typically C:\Program Files\Microsoft SQL Server\90\Tools\Samples\AdventureWorks Analysis Services Project\Standard\Adventure Works.sln)
- Deploy and Process the Cube - if you installed with a named instance, you will need to change the deployment information by right clicking on the Project files and selecting properties.
- Right click on the "Analysis Services" Project, click "Proccess" (it will prompt you to deploy)
Figure: Process the Analysis Servcies Project
- Click "Run"
- Close the Business Intelligence Studio
Deploy the Model Sample
In order to use Ad-hoc Report Builder, you need to deploy atleast one Model to the Reprot Server.
- Run the "Samples.MSI" (Click Start -> All Programs -> Microsoft SQL Server 2005 -> Documentation and Tutorials -> Samples -> Microsoft SQL Server 2005 Samples)
- Browse to the "Adventure Works Report Samples" folder (typically C:\Program Files\Microsoft SQL Server\90\Samples\Reporting Services\Report Samples\AdventureWorks Sample Reports)
- Open the "AdventureWorks Sample Reports.sln"
- Double Click on the "AdventureWorksAS.rds" Shared Datasource
- Click the "Edit" Button
- Dropdown the Database name list to Select the Correct Adventure Works DW (Adventure Works DW Standard Edition)
- Click "OK"
- Click "OK" again
- Right click on the "AdventureWorks Sample Reports" project and Select "Deploy"
The Report and Model Samples should now be deployed.
The End Result
You should now have 3 folders in your Report Manager root.
- Open the "Adventure Works Model" solution (typically located at C:\Program Files\Microsoft SQL Server\90\Samples\Reporting Services\Model Samples\Adventure Works Model\Adventure Works Model.sln).
- In the "Build" menu, click on "Deploy Adventure Works Model".
Browse to http://localhost/reports to see these folders.
Open the first report to make sure it works.
- Adventure Works Sample Reports
- Data Sources
Figure: Success! You now have the three sample folders you need
To install the Northwind Sample database please see How do I get Northwind in SQL Server 2005?
Option 2:Installing AdventureWorks after the SQL Server 2005 install.
The SQL Server 2005 Sample Databases, with installation instructions, can be downloaded here.
Hot Tip - SQL Server 2005
SSW Custom Support