When changing computers, how can I keep all my mail and newsgroups from my old computer?
There is no easy import/export method to keep all your settings in Outlook
Express. All the settings are stored in your registry.
To migrate Outlook Express Mail and News configuration:
- On your Old PC, find the location of the mail files for Outlook Express.
To do this open Outlook Express and go to > Tools Menu > Options >
Maintenance Tab > Store Folder button.
- Make sure that Outlook Express is closed. Do not run it again until all
the steps have been completed otherwise your dbx files will be cleared by
- Copy the Store Folder found above (usually “c:\DataOutlookExpress”) from
the Old PC to the New PC. Make sure the folder is in the same location on
the New PC. The Store folder contains all your *.dbx files used by Outlook
- Copy the Windows Address Book *.wab files from the Old PC to the same location
on the New PC. Its location is
%HOMEPATH%\Application Data\Microsoft\Address Book
- IMPORT Keys: Export these keys from regedit on the Old PC to be imported
on the New PC:
- HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Internet Account Manager
- BACKUP Keys: Export these keys from regedit on the Old PC as a backup only
(do not import on New PC)
Export the same keys listed above from the New PC as a backup:
Merge the reg files listed under IMPORT Keys on the New PC
Open Outlook Express and check your settings are correct.
- HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Outlook Express
- HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Outlook Express
Hot Tip - Exchange 2003 Hot Tip - Windows XP
SSW Custom Support