Hello to all Access, VB and ASP Developers and all the clients and friends of SSW.
We hope the year is shaping up to be a success. Take the time to browse through this months newsletter, it might make things even better!
News This month
1. THE ACCESS/ASP/SQL SERVER USER GROUP TOMORROW TAX REFORM GOT YOU WORRIED?
2. DEVCON 2000 CONFERENCE DONT MISS THIS OPPORTUNITY
3. POSITIONS VACANT SSW JOIN A FANTASTIC TEAM
4. SSW UPSIZING PRO! VERSION 3.1 NOW AVAILABLE SAVE TIME & MONEY
HOT TIP CHECK FOR IE5
1. THE ACCESS/ASP/SQL SERVER USER GROUP
The MARCH "Microsoft Access/ASP/SQL Server User Group, Sydney" is scheduled for Wednesday 15th February 2000, 5:45 pm
1) We are having a discussion on what the GST means to us and our clients (as developers):
The ABN: Whos eligible and what does it mean?
The GST: Its impact on your business and your database.
PAG vs PAYE:The new and the old. How will these changes affect you?
BAS: The Business Activity Statement is to be lodged every three months and will have a running effect on your business.
2) What are those DTS Tools in SQL Server?
Also Eris McEncroe will give a presentation on organising data for using Business Intelligence applications ( like ad hoc query, reporting and OLAP systems). Eris will cover the advantages of Star schema over Normalised database schema for this type of application. The presentation will include a demo showing how Data Transformation Services (DTS) can be used to restructure data into the required format. DTS, which ships with SQL Server 7, enables data to be extracted from just about any source, scrubbed,transformed and then pumped to a desired destination. Neither sources or targets needs to be a SQL server database. The whole process can be automated and scheduled to run as required.
Attending the user group is free and is an excellent opportunity to share ideas and pick up hot development tips.
SSW has been running the "Microsoft Access/ASP/SQL Server User Group, Sydney" since 1992. For more information and a map of how to get there see the web site at www.ssw.com.au/AccessUG
2. DEVCON 2000 - CONFERENCE FOR PROFESSIONAL DEVELOPERS
If you are serious about developing and keeping ahead of the pack, consider attending DevCom2000.
Perth March 28 31 The Sheraton Hotel
Sydney April 2 5 The Manly Pacific Parkroyal
* BE THE FIRST in Australia to know about SQL Server 2000 XML and HTTP Enhancements. These tools will be detailed so you will learn how to store and retrieve XML from SQL Server programmatically.
* Be given a tool to quickly analyse the slowest forms in your database then drill down and see the cause.
* SAVE WEEKS in your SQL Server conversion. Upsizing to SQL Server from Access 97 requires preparation of your back end and front end databases. We will show you what to look for, walk you through the code and then give you the code and preparation tool to TAKE AWAY
* TURN YOUR STORED PROCEDURES FROM A CHORE INTO A CINCH. Most people believe that Stored Procedures are difficult to code for and it DOESN'T HELP when Microsoft doesn't document real shortcuts - BUT WE'LL SHOW YOU HOW!
* MAXIMISE YOUR ADO PERFORMANCE. ADO is becoming the defacto standard for data access all over the world. ADO is being employed to handle complex client/server as well as middle tier and web based development chores. Learn how to get more out ActiveX.
* Learn how easy it is to integrate Outlook with your database forms, how to use VBA and COM add-ins,then put together an enterprise/office calendar solution - ALL THE CODE IS YOURS TO TAKE AND EXPAND into your applications.
The aim of DevCon 2000 is for you to come away from the conference with real benefits and value for money. We are confident that delegates will learn more in 4 days at DevCon than 4 months in the office!
For booking details see http://www.ssw.com.au/SGW or email: firstname.lastname@example.org
3. SSW POSITIONS VACANT
After more expansion SSW is settling into their new larger offices. While still lacking some items of furniture, it is definitely Business As Usual. Conducting team meetings on the floor of the boardroom makes the brain function a lot faster than usual; creativity has doubled!
We are looking for two new developers.
* Programmers with Access, VB, and ASP experience
* SQL Server Gurus
If you are interested in joining one of the most exciting development teams in Sydney contact us.
You can find us at:
Gateway Court, Suite 10
81 91 Military Road
Neutral Bay NSW 2089
Phone:(02) 9953 3000
Fax: (02) 9953 3105
4. SSW UPSIZING PRO! VERSION 3.1 NOW AVAILABLE
Converting your database from Access to SQL Server? Use SSW Upsizing PRO! and save time.
SSW Upsizing PRO! checks your Microsoft Access 97/2000 database and help you get it ready for the Microsoft Access 'Upsizing Wizard'. Use it BEFORE you convert to SQL Server and you will save heaps of time. Use it AFTER and it will check if everything was OK and recommend changes for you to implement.
This HOT utility does the checking of your database that the 'Microsoft Upsizing Wizard' should have done. After you use the generated reports, you can upsize to SQL Server without any worries.
Click here for this and other downloads http://www.ssw.com.au/ssw/Download
HOT TIP - When developing Data Access Pages (or ASP pages) you can check that they have Internet Explorer 5.
Set br = Server.CreateObject("MSWC.BrowserType")
If CInt(br.majorver) < 5 Then 'check browser version and notice that netscape also hasn't got version number greater than 5.
alert("You should install IE 5 or later to run this page!");
<% Response.Redirect "/ssw/TimePRO/frmMenumain.asp"
End If %>
This newsletter is edited by SSWs Marketing Team. We would like your feedback. If you have a tip you want to share, a website you want us to review or comments on our service, please write to 696e666f72407373772e636f6d2e6175 or visit us at: www.ssw.com.au
SSW Pty Limited
Address: Gateway Court, Suite 10, 81 91 Military Road, Neutral Bay, NSW, 2089
Phone: +61 2 9953 3000 Fax: +61 2 9953 3105
SSW specialises in delivering efficient, cost effective solutions for your database or Internet requirements. Our ability to integrate these functions together help companies streamline operations, while making the most of opportunities presented by the 'on-line' world.
If you can't use our services at the moment but know someone who may, pass on our details.........it could earn you some easy $$$$! SSW has a guaranteed $150 Spotters Fee for any referrals we convert into new Database or Web Site development business.
We're not the people surfing the net, we're the people making the waves.