Do you know the tools you need before a "Test Please"?
Don't let your client find bugs in production that they would have found if you had asked them to do a 'Test Please' 1st Better still... Don't let your client find bugs that your internal tester would have found. Better still... Don't let your tester find bugs that a tool could have found?
So, prior to a version being submitted to the client, these are the 4 steps you should follow:
Perform automated testing with tools:
- SSW Link Auditor (for Web Apps)
- SSW Code Auditor (for all Apps)
- SSW SQL Auditor (for all Apps with databases)
- SSW SQL Deploy's Reconcile (for all Apps with databases)
- Visual Studio Team System Code Analysis (optional)
Perform automated testing via Unit Tests
- nUnit (for Windows Apps), or
- Visual Studio Team System Unit Tests (for Web Apps)
- Perform an internal "Test Please" (aka "Alpha Testing" e.g. only testing that pages or forms load, not checking the business rules)
- Then send a "Test Please" to the client (aka "Acceptance Testing" to check the business rules)