If you have firewall issue with remote assistance in msn, VNC is a good solution
to handle the firewall problem. But it's not easy for a client to install and configure
VNC software. UltraVNC provides a Single Click solution to simplify the work on
the client side - what your client needs to do is just to download an exe file and
execute it. The following steps are what you need to do as a supporter to create
UltraVNC SC customized exe as per UltraVNC SC (SingleClick):
- Download template from UltraVNC SC Custom.zip and unzip it to a folder e.g. SSWRemoteSupportByJamesZhou
- Figure: unzipped content of the template
- Replace the default icons and logo pictures with the SSW ones
- Figure: customize the template with SSW icons and logos
- Delete the file rc4.key if you don't need to encrypt your connection to client. If
encryption is needed, you need to install DSM plugin for UltraVNC and generate a key file to replace
the one in the template.
- Edit the helpdesk.txt file in the template like this
SSW Remote Desktop Support
-connect xxx.xxx.215.24:5500 -noregistry
Internet support encryption
-plugin -connect xxx.xxx.215.24:5500 -noregistry
Double Click to make a connection
SSW - Sydney's Leading .NET and SQL Consultants
Call +61 2 9953 3000 to contact us
Remote Support from SSW
by <Your Name>
SSW Remote Desktop Support
Trying to connect
If it fails, the software will remove itself
from your system.
Warning, your desktop is remote visible
You can break the connection any time
by using the close button
- For SSW employees, you can use a copy of SSW UltraVNC SC template and what you need to change is the ip address and <Your Name> in the helpdesk.txt
- The IP address is your router's public address if you are behind a router. In this case, you need to configure the router to forward the connection to port 5500 to your pc or add your intranet IP as a virtual server to expose this port on the router.
- Check your firewall to allow this port number to use.
- Zip the folder as e.g. SSWRemoteSupportByJamesZhou.zip (Note: dot is not allowed in the name).
- Go to UltraVNC SC Online Compiler and upload the zip file you created.
Submit it and an exe file with the same name of the zip file will be created
- Figure: fill up the submit form (userid: foo password: foobar)
Download the exe and put it under www.ssw.com.au/ssw/RemoteSupport/ and inform your client to download it from there.
- Figure: customized exe created
- To ensure your client is in trust of your assistance, you should always tell your client to download anything from SSW official site
- If your client still doubts the exe file, you should explain what the exe is like this: VNC is an industry standard program for remote support. We have customized this exe for easy use.
- Install UltraVNC from UltraVNC Home Page. Make sure your Windows Firewall allow the default port it
- Figure: Allowing UltraVNC connection in Window Firewall
- Start UltraVNC Viewer in listen mode
- Figure: run UltraVNC in listen mode
- Figure: tray icon in your taskbar
- Ask your client to run the exe file after download and start the connection. You will be notified once your client opens the EXE. And then you can take control
of client's computer and start the actual remote session.
Step 1: Our developer will send you a url where you can download an EXE. Please
download this EXE and place it on your desktop.
Step 2: Double click the EXE to start remote session. (Note: our developer
will arrange a time that's convenient for you, you only need to run this EXE during
Once you run it, you will see a screen that's similar to the following. Please double
click the "Internet support?link in the left hand side box.
- Figure: UI for the Remote Support exe at client side
When you double click, this EXE will stay on your taskbar as a SSW icon and update
you with the status of the remote session.
- Figure: tray icon at client side
Step 3: Our developer will try to take control of your computer now, please
click the link in the following screen to proceed.
- Figure: taking control of remote computer
Once you accept this connection, our developer will be able to control your computer
and you can sit in front of your screen and monitor the operations. See the following
screen for how our developer opens a Notepad and type in some information on your
- Figure: remote desktop showing at your side
Step 4: Once the support is finished, you can close the connection by click
on the system tray icon.
- Figure: Cancel remote control through the Close button at client side